Many people want thick, healthy and shiny hair. However, sometimes as we age or due to medical factors, we lose our hair. Luckily there’s a procedure that can restore your hair and give you the confidence you deserve. Hair transplants have a quick recovery and are a permanent transplant, unlike most techniques.
Hair transplant is a process where a surgeon will harvest hair follicles from a donor site on the body and transplant them in naturally occurring “follicular units’ which contain between one and four hairs to the affected area. Hair transplant is a procedure that is used to move hair from one area to fill another area with thin or no hair. There are two common methods for the operation:
Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT)
With this procedure, one or more large sections of tissue are extracted from the donor area. They take this from either the back and/or sides of the scalp. The tissue is then dissected into singular follicular units, typically containing 1-4 hairs. Once all implants have been prepared they are implanted into the recipient area through microscopic incisions in the scalp.
Follicular Unit Extraction(FUE)
This revolutionary hair transplant is a minimally invasive technique that doesn't require stitches and features natural-looking hair. During this procedure, individual hair follicles are extracted directly from the donor area. They either come from the back and/or sides of the scalp. Then the follicles are prepped and implanted into the recipient area through microscopic incisions in the scalp.
• The surgeon cleans the scalp of the patient and injects medicine to make the back of your head numb
• He prepares the grafts
• Cleans and numb the area where the hair transplant goes
• The surgeon creates slits or holes with a scalpel or needle and places each graft in one of the holes
• Depending on the operation area the procedure takes 4-8 hours
• If one wants thicker hair, they may have another procedure after some time
• After surgery one may need to take pain medications for some days as the scalp is tender and may be painful
• Take anti-inflammatory drugs or antibiotics as prescribed by your surgeon
• You will have to wear bandages over the scalp for a few days
• Within 2-3 weeks, the transplanted hair falls out, and one sees new growth after 6-9 months
• Hair growth marks the success of the hair transplant procedure
Only an experienced hair restoration specialist can determine if an FUT or an FUE procedure is the right solution for you. Hair transplants are a great option for those who have experienced hair loss and want thicker, fuller hair again. For more information on hair transplants, contact the team at Shear Pointe today!