Men’s Hair Loss Treatment & Solutions FAQ
SHEAR POINTE HAIR RESTORATION – DETROIT, MICHIGAN
SAY GOODBYE TO HAIR LOSS ANXIETY
Men’s Hair Loss FAQ: Causes & Treatment Options for Men
Dating far into antiquity, losing your hair has been a stressful part of the aging process for men. History records a wide range of creative approaches to dealing with men going bald. The comb-over is nothing new. It dates back to the Roman Caesars. To this day there is no true cure for hereditary male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), the most prevalent cause of hair loss in men.
Hereditary male pattern baldness has been systematically classified. The most common classification measurement is the Norwood Scale.
By comparing your own amount of hair loss with the Norwood Scale, you can begin to consider various hair loss solutions ranging from hair transplantation to non-surgical hair replacement systems and hair loss treatment programs.
With rare exception, the sooner you take action to stop your hair loss, the more likely you are to see it progress into more advanced stages.
Male Pattern Baldness
The medical term for Male Pattern Baldness is Androgenetic Alopecia, which is the most widespread cause of thinning hair and baldness in men is hereditary in nature. It runs in your family and can be present on either your father’s side of the family, your mother’s, or both. Hair loss can be caused by a variety of factors, so it is always wise to consult your family physician and dermatologist to determine the exact cause of your hair loss.
What is Causing Your Hair Loss?
Beyond hereditary hair loss, other causes of thinning hair and balding may include:
- Alopecia areata: This type of hair loss is widely considered to be an autoimmune disorder. It causes patchy “areas” of hair loss on the scalp that are circular and irregular in nature.
- Alopecia Totalis: Complete loss of all scalp hair.
- Alopecia Universalis: Complete hair loss affecting your entire body.
- Traction Alopecia: Hair loss caused by physical tension of the hair, typically as a result of tight hair weaves, corn rows, and other prolonged pulling and tension of the hair.
- Telogen Effiuvium: (typically temporary in nature). Caused by severe stress to the central nervous system including Covid-19 and childbirty, thyroid abnormalities, hormonal changes and side effects of medications.
- Anagen effiuvium: Hair loss caused typically by medications such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy.
- Trichotillomania: An obsessive-compulsive disorder typically affecting younger females denoted by an irresistible urge to pull your hair out.
- Chemotherapy: A common form of cancer treatment which attacks rapidly multiplying human cells, including human hair cells. This type of hair loss may be temporary or more permanent in nature.
Of all types of hair loss discussed above, Androgenic Alopecia accounts for over 90-95% of all hair loss in men.
Men’s Hair Loss Solutions
- Accepting your hair loss and living with it. In many cases, professional counseling can be helpful.
- Hiding your hair loss by means of creative hair styles and other cosmetic techniques, including hair fibers.
- Rogaine, the only FDA approved topical treatment for male or female pattern hair loss. Although Rogaine is not effective in stimulating new hair growth, it can retard further hair loss.
- Hair Replacement Systems have made substantial advances in terms of both realistically mimicking natural growing hair and allowing individuals to lead a normal life without constantly worrying about their hair.
- Hair Replacement Surgery has also made great strides in terms of acceptable hair restoration coverage and naturally appearing hair growth patterns. Surgical skill is of paramount importance.
- A combination of Hair Replacement Systems with Hair Replacement Surgery.
Men’s Hair Loss: What Shear Pointe Can Offer
At Shear Pointe Hair Restoration in Detroit (Birmingham), Michigan, we are dedicated to providing the best and most up to date hair restoration solutions.
We encourage you to contact us soon to arrange a private, in-person consultation to discuss your concerns and have all your questions answered. We are dedicated to helping you find the correct hair restoration solution for your specific needs, lifestyle, and budget.